The AnyBook Award
Top Ten and Winners
Espresso Book Machine
|The American Book Center|
EBM on NOS Radio 1
The AnyBook Award Competition 2010
We would like to thank all our contestants for their hard work and for all the inspiring entries. Thanks also to our Judges who read and viewed all the entries!
Our Espresso Book Machine was launched on November 26th, making our Thanksgiving even more special than it usually is! It was an honor to have the AnyBook Award Book be the first official book to roll off our new press.
Congratulations go out to our four winners:
1st Prize Em Angevaare for "1228: To Presume to Make New"
2nd Prize Veronica White for "Remember before..."
3rd Prize Roger Bonner for "World's New Makeover"
Public Prize Philippine Bulsing for her painting "Redesign the World"
And, here they are, all the submissions that won a spot in our AnyBook Award Book:
"The Maze" by Stephanie L. Ragghoe
"Remember Before…" by Veronica White *
"Baby Shopping" by Andy Crane *
"Redesign the World" by Philippine Bulsing *
"Ppaperback" by Sjef van Gaalen
"Experience Innovation" by B. Joseph Pine II
"Redesign the World" by" by Sylvia van Bruggen *
"Redesign the World" by Jeroen Denters & Cunera Joosten *
"Redesign the World" by Wisarut Wivekyolamal *
"Where Do Lost Bits Go?" by Rick Vermunt
"World’s New Makeover" by Roger Bonner *
"Redesign the World: the inner solution" by Femke Wijdekop
"Redesign the World" by Joakim Drescher
"1228: To Presume To Make New" by Em Angevaare *
"Life Redesigned" by Mimis Chrysomallis
"The Wicked Wet World of AmsterSam" by Sam Martino *
"Demispheres" by Herman Duchenne
"In the Beginning… All Was Changed" by Marianne van der Wel *
"Insula Dei" by Pieter L. Harreman
* = top ten submissions
The very first book to be printed on ABC's Espresso Book Machine will be very special: It's going to be written by you!
Be a part of this printing revolution and help ABC publish a unique book by creating something for us on the topic Redesign the World (the theme of this year's PICNIC conference). You can write any sort of text, or conjure up any sort of image: we'll consider anything and everything as long as it looks good in black and white. (for example: prose, poetry, interview, essay, cartoon, photograph, drawing)
A professional jury will select finalists from all your entries. We’ll post these here on AnyBookAward.com so that you can vote for your favorite too. The final decision will be made by the jury, who will select the best quality entries to be compiled into our first book. You could see your work in print and on sale in our stores in November!
Theme: Redesign the World
* your own words in any form: essay, short story, poem, interview, play
* 1000 word maximum
* written in English
* your own graphics (illustrations/cartoons/manga/photographs) on the theme should be suitable for b/w printing
* scanned artwork should be scanned as grayscale at 300dpi, scaled to appropriate size saved in TIFF format
* total size of artwork should not exceed size A4
Send your submissions digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org as attachments.
Only Word, PDF and TIFF files are accepted.
You may enter more than once.
Be sure to include your full name, address, telephone number and title of your entry.
The Competition is now closed. Original authorship must be asserted. There will be no correspondance with the judges. Please do not send submissions by any means other than electronically.
We'll also be awarding prizes to the most outstanding entries:
* First Prize: 100 Euros worth of ABC Gift Vouchers, a weekend writing course with The Amsterdam Writing Workshop and ten copies of the book.
* Second Prize: 50 Euros worth of ABC Gift Vouchers and five copies of the book.
* Third Prize: 25 Euros worth of ABC Gift Vouchers and five copies of the book.
* Public Prize: 100 Euro Voucher to print any book (including your own) on the Espresso Book Machine.
* The 4 prize winners will all go to lunch together with a leading publisher, and will win free participation in a workshop on "How to Publish Your Own Book".
Everyone whose work is selected will get a free copy of the book too!
The first copies will be presented on November 25th, Thanksgiving Day, to Jason Epstein, eminent American publisher, co-founder of The New York Review of Books and the inspirational driving force behind this revolutionary printing machine.